Edward Whalawhitsa Indian Cemetery
Stevens County, Washington
Map # 20
T28 R37E Sec 12
Transcribed by Maggie Rail, © 1999 [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Total records = 14.
Transcribed from "Columbia River Cemeteries", a record of individuals
moved from the banks of the Columbia River to make way for the rising
flood waters of Lake Roosevelt, published in the 1976 book, "Stevens County
Tombstone Inscriptions" by EWGS, Spokane WA., who acquired this record
from the Spokane Garry Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution.
This cemetery is now located underneath the Columbia River. In approximately
1939-40, after the Grand Coulee Dam was built, the waters were raised,
thus flooding the cemetery. Before the waters were raised, the Bureau
of Reclamation, of the U.S. Department of the Interior, was responsible
for relocating the burials. Ball & Dodd was hired to do the removals.
Note the location of Edward Whalawhitsa Indian Cemetery, it is #20
on Ball & Dodd Map.
"M/T" means "moved to", and the Plot numbers
refer to the location in the new cemetery.
All graves are in a line on east edge of the Presbyterian
Copyright © 2001-2018, Maggie Rail,
All rights reserved.