Ellisforde Mission Cemetery
Okanogan County, Washington
Shrine constructed to incorporate the original mission bell, which
survived two fires.
The plaque seen inside the shrine reads as follows:
"Old Okanogan Mission: In the fall of 1885, newly ordained
Fr Etienne de Rouge S.J. arrived at the small primitive cabin
left by his predecessor, Fr Urban Grassi, S.J. The cab in marked
a favorite meeting place of the Okanogan Indians, which they named
"Schall-Keesi," meaning "Bend in the River." The earliest marked
grave is dated 1880. Fr. De Rouge constructed a log chapel and
later a church and school that were completed in 1888. This was
the first school in Okanogan County. Fire destroyed the complex
in 1910. In 1913 only the church was rebuilt on the site. The
Mission Chapel served as a landmark and symbol of the Christian
faith for the Indian inhabitants of the Okanogan country. It's
spire stood as a sentry in the Okanogan Valley for more than 60
years until destroyed by fire on May 07, 1971."
To perpetuate the memory of this Indian Mission, the
heirs of this rich tradition erected the present monument. The bell
of the mission, which survived 2 fires, remains incorporated in
Photograph Copyright © 2003, Maggie Rail
Copyright © 2001-2018, Maggie Rail,
All rights reserved.